Feminine care products…an item women use on a regular basis that often gets overlooked when it comes to the effects it’s having on our body.
Toxic chemicals don’t belong in feminine care products. Period. And yet, the vast majority of brands on the market today contain LOTS of harmful chemicals. These products are coming in contact with some of the most sensitive areas of our body, so it’s important to know what’s REALLY in them.
Conventional tampons and sanitary pads contain:
- pesticides: A whopping $2 billion is spent annually on pesticides to spray cotton crops.
- genetically-modified organisms (GMOs): According the USDA, 94 percent of all U.S. cotton is genetically engineered.
- chlorine bleach, BPA plastic, odor neutralizers, and artificial fragrances: which are linked to hormone disruption, cancer, birth defects, dryness and infertility.
Thankfully, there are safer options available, and they are made by some really amazing companies!
Check out these companies that make safer products and support a great cause in the process:
- L. (that’s it, just L.)
- L. started with one woman wanting to help build a world more equitable for all women. Talia Frenkel, a photojournalist who worked for the Red Cross and United Nations, founded L. after documenting humanitarian crises around the world. Her coverage of the widespread neglect of women’s human rights and the effects of HIV/AIDS on women and girls propelled her to take action in solidarity with women everywhere. Today, L.’s solidarity model has supported a network of more than 4,000 women entrepreneurs and is making over 250 million personal care products accessible to those who need them.
- Their products are made with ORGANIC cotton (which means no pesticides and no GMOs) and are made without chlorine bleach, fragrances, or dyes.
- I *love* this brand! You can find L. at Amazon and Target.
- At Cora. we believe every woman is a force of nature and should be revered as such. We also believe every girl deserves an education, yet millions of girls around the world miss school during their periods because they can’t afford pads. That’s why with every Cora purchase, we provide pads and health education to a girl in need. We use the power of business to fight for gender equality and provide products, education, and jobs to girls and women in need in developing nations and right here at home.
- Their products are also made with ORGANIC cotton (no pesticides or GMOs) and made without chlorine bleach, fragrances, or dyes.
- I’ve used some of the Cora products and like them, but they are more expensive than L. You can find Cora at Amazon and Target.