August 27, 2019
Have you taken a look at the ingredients in your laundry detergent lately? I wonder if you can even find the ingredients list on the bottle!
We may not realize it, but laundry detergent is something we are using all.the.time. Some of you might even be doing laundry while you read this. 🙂 Modern day washing machines are magnificent, but even they do not get all of the detergent out of our clothes. That’s why it’s important to use a detergent that is non-toxic…and not getting onto our skin and into our bodies.
Here are the harmful chemicals I avoid in the laundry detergent that we use:
- 1,4-Dioxane – classified as a probable human carcinogen and has been detected in a number of brand-name liquid laundry detergents (you won’t find it on the label, as it is a byproduct of other ingredients)
- Artificial fragrances – may contain endocrine-disrupting phthalates and other possible allergens
- Artificial colors and dyes – skin irritant
- Chlorine bleach – can burn skin and irritate eyes, nose and throat
- NPEs (nonylphenol ethoxylates) – imitates the hormone estrogen which impacts fetal development and reproductive health
- Quaternary ammonium compounds (quats) (used to soften fabrics) – linked to reproductive problems
- And, of course, fragrance – the #1 red flag for being a hormone or endocrine disruptor. Ranks in the “red zone” on EWG (Environmental Working Group) because companies do NOT have to disclose the ingredients which make up their “fragrance”. This often means that one simple word represents HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS, of chemicals. I steer clear of products with fragrance, perfume, or parfum for these reasons.
If you’d like to learn about hormone or endocrine disruptors, check out my YouTube video here.
- Biokleen. I have tried approximately 1,394,612 different non-toxic laundry detergents and my search is FINALLY over! I love, love, love this one! I purchased the 150 oz bottle in April, and I’m only half way through the bottle! Can you even imagine a single bottle of detergent last 8 MONTHS?!? I can’t…You can find it on Amazon. If you want to ditch the plastic or prefer a powder form, they have that, too! Be sure to use it with warm/hot water to avoid clumping.
- Better Life. I have previously used many products from Better Life. I fell in love with them several years ago after seeing them the TV show, Shark Tank. The company was started by two dads who wanted safer products for their kids. Love that! You can get Better Life products on Amazon.